Monday, April 4, 2011

David Brown’s Post

OFFICE FANS


For those of you who like The Office and typography I think you will like this. If anyone of you have seen this episode, it is when Pam goes off to art school and is assigned to do some kind of typography project and this was her final project. Not only is it funny, but it is well done. I dont think I will ever be able to replicate something like this but her (or whoever did this) understanding of texture and value is great. Just like drawing, in order to make something look as realistic as possible I find that it is important to know your shadows and lighting well. The over all mood of this picture, I believe, is meant to be funny. But even in funny art I think it is possible to find creative and well done design.



7 comments:

  1. Haha thats awesome!!! haha it must have taken a pretty good amount of time to do that, I like it, its random and funny and awesome haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see pieces of work like this, I always find myself struck by how carefully different combinations of letterforms are placed to create varying values. I agree with Trey... the process must be very time consuming, especially considering how accurate the spacing must be between darker values and across highlights. I'd be curious to know, certainly, if there are any tricks or specific strategies for this kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is really creative and I admire it because doing this with typography is hard. Using type is a creative way to integrate design into a picture. I think this stands out and fits really well together along with having an excellent design element.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this kind of typographical art is really cool, but really difficult. i have a piece like this and it is probably my most satisfying piece of art i have ever made. it takes hours upon hours to place the text precisely right where it needs to be and to alter it to make it look the way it needs to- but the end results are fabulous. it's especially impacting to use text that adds depth to the piece- like if they would have used different quotes from Dwight to make up his face. text is a really cool "medium" to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is really well done. I also wonder how someone would set about doing something like this. The details are done very well, and the choice of typographic characters is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS! The Office is one of my all time favorite shows. I love how even in a place where one wouldn't typically expect to find 'art' it's still present (although, I would argue that the entire show is art in one of its best forms). Great work Pam (haha, or whoever *really* did it).

    ReplyDelete