Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gary Stuart’s Post

Two great points for the design of a piece of technology are function and aesthetics.

The rise of the smartphone has led to an innovation in the technology of phones.  Phones coming out these days are all about the touch screen technology and the ability to mimic a basic laptop.  Touch screens are constantly being perfected and multiple ideas for uses are continually coming about.  Here in lies one of the greatest concepts to hopefully be picked up by a manufacturer.


This phone concept is called the Flip.  It is a smartphone that consists of three folding touch screen sides that bend in all sorts of directions.  You can have a folded up touchscreen phone to a full touch keyboard and screen for taking notes.  It can be whatever you need it to be, like a triangular alarm clock, camera, or even a music player.  Obviously one of the main ways to make a phone yours is to change the background of the phone.  With the concept, they take that one step further.  The light emitting from all sides of the phone can be changed to fit your mood and style.  One really cool thing about the phone concept, as demonstrated in their promotional video is folding it into a triangle, standing it on end and putting flowers in it.  While this leads to no productivity, it does allow for a little, "Look what my phone can do and what your phone can't."  Hopefully as phone technology progresses we will start to see all sorts of creative and new ideas come to light that makes our lives easier and a little bit more fun.  A phone should be about functionality, innovation and a little bit about personalization.














http://vimeo.com/18079655

6 comments:

  1. Technology continues to blow my mind. I had to do a double take a couple times to make sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. I am impressed that this phone can be as flat as any other smart phone, yet will transform into multiple other shapes. I can see this phone being a large money maker. The design is sleak which I think will attract consumers to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is just amazing. I agree with what david said about technology. I am really surprised by this. I would love to have something like this. I did not even know it was possible to have it set for your mood that just makes it even greater. The design of it is also great. I like how you can make it flat or like a triangle to set down as an alarm clock. This ides is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya i agree, that crazy, i mean things are getting smaller and smaller each year, and it seems like the smaler they get the more things they can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sweet!! I really want one, mainly because it's such a unique way to display flower arrangements. It's designed so well and like David said, I had to do double takes as well because it's so *thin.* I really hope that this concept comes to a culmination in a real physical product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! The multi-purpose design of this technology is incredible! I agree with Matthias, I wanna see this become a product! I think it would be really popular, because it is capable of doing all the things people most often use their phone for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome!
    I want one. Now. Please?
    In the last few years there was a lot of hype about nano-technology, not necessarily in the microscopic sense, but just in that 'thin' feel, and I think that kind of disappeared. But this is really cool and I love the fact its so thin and multi-purposeful!

    ReplyDelete