Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Megan Toney’s Post

Package design. It's been my favorite part of this class by far. And this weekend when my 13-year-old brother unwrapped this box of  his new Dr. Dre's headphones, I realized how much package design affects the consumer's opinion of the product.

I have three examples:
First is this olive oil packaging. I've heard over and over that if your design is just as great without something, then leave it out. These bottles do an excellent job of communicating this tropical feel without alot of extra. Most of this comes through the actual presence of the flaovring. There are garlic gloves, rosemary, and lemons actually in these flavored oils bottles. It was such an interesting ooo and ahhh moment. They might have gone overboard with the rough cork and the thick twine, but overall there is a tropical elegance.

Next, is the coconut water. Even though it is white packaging it simulates the look of the cocnut water and whatever additives there are. Simple, clean. I like.


Third is much different and not minimalistic. It is this creamer, but the feel/emotion they want to convey is only added to by their packaging. IT'S FUN! USE THIS CREAMER the bright colors really shout, but -surprisingly- not obnoxiously so. I enjoyed it. I notice packaging all the time now and the creative ones (that aren't so by going overboard) are my favorites.






6 comments:

  1. I really like the water packaging. It is really simple and neat and I also like the shape of the packaging. Looking at the bottle just makes me thirsty and I think that is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coconut water design is really nice. You look at it and you know exactly what the product is going to be like. As for the creamer, I have never seen such an artsy design on something as common as creamer. The design is so intriguing that I would want to buy it just to see if the inside is as interesting as the outside. I like the idea of putting an artistic flare to food product designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally thinking what Katie said in regards to the creamer. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am really in awe when people design something that is a common item to stand out, and break out of the mold of what is typical expected in the industry. It's nice to look at and does draw you in and encourage you to buy it. I don't even use creamer, but would want to buy this just to see if the taste matches the style on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is amazing what packaging can do for a product. We might not even want to the product, or have an interest in it, but if the packaging is attractive, we will want to buy it. This just goes to show the power of strong marketing, it will make people buy it, because they have made it as attractive as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lance. I think a lot of times we buy products strictly based on their packaging. The creamer package is very interesting, and although I might not buy it, I would definitely consider it. I also liked the look of the olive oil bottles with the labels mimicking the actual product inside, while giving it a streamlined look at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the corks are a bit too much, but overall these are all very nice looking products. I especially like the coconut water. Great logo, great feel of the package, especially they way they've set it up so that it looks like you're holding the coconut in your hand when you grab the carton. For the most part none of these are overly extravagant as far as the build, they just rely on good design to sell the product.

    ReplyDelete