Thursday, April 7, 2011

Brochures

You guys are about to start designing brochures. When you hear the word "brochure," you probably have a couple of reactions. First, if you are like me and and 99% of the population, you think of a trifolded 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper. Second, if you have ever designed one of these said brochures, you probably cringe a little. Been there, seen that, completely unexciting. But who says that's how it has to be?

Here is an example of a fundraising brochure designed for the Chosen People of Guatemala outreach ministry by the JBU Summer Studies trip to Guatemala. This brochure is visually appealing, effective and different. It's also award-winning; the group won a bronze District Addy for this piece.

I talked to Heather Charise Foley, one of the project's photographers and she explained some of the concepts that make the piece work so well.

1. People directly speaking to the audience

Having a photograph with the caption "I am chosen," grabs the readers attention and immediately makes the interaction personal.

2. Honest, impactful photography

The photographers goal was to create photography that was attention grabbing while maintaining the people's dignity. They wanted to be realistic, displaying the difficult circumstances of the people, but avoided being manipulative. They also made a point to show joy and goodness, not just the degradation.

3. Individual cards for the bullet points of the story

The individual cards each have their own focus and little story that together make the whole story. The cards make the whole story less intimidating by breaking it up into smaller pieces and not having all the information in one area. Individual cards also make it possible for people to take a favorite card and stick it on their fridge. But in order to keep things consistent the Theme verse, mission statement, contact info, and call to action on all cards.

4. A clear call to action

The call to action, which is on every card, emphasizes the personal commitment of giving; these people are chosen and you choose to help them. All of the needs are listed at once so as not to separate the need for prayer from the need for physical action and help. You can also choose where your money goes, further emphasizing the personal choice and commitment.

I know thinking outside the box is hard on a project like this, but try to stretch yourselves. Your project will be better for it.

10 comments:

  1. In Graphic Design I, we were challenged to create a brochure and to think outside the 8 1/2" x 11" trifold box. I think the reason why this works so well is because it doesn't look like a brochure at all. When I think of the word brochure, "boring" always immediately follows. However, this is anything but. I think another problem I always have with brochures is that they seem too clutter. Someone is always trying to stuff way too much information on this little sheet of paper. This is very simple, and the text is well-organized so that I am not overwhelmed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenny, the fact that this project provides the information from a brochure, but looks very little like the brochure we typically think of, makes the viewer what to read it. The use of a distinct color for each card does make it well organized, easy to read and draws in the attention of the viewer. I also really like the use of a full bleed photo for the front of each cards, I think it is a very effective design over all, that engages the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Starla, the full bleed pictures really make the design appealing. I really like Heather's approach to the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that it says I am chosen with the pictures behind the text. I also really like the type of brochure. Its more interesting than a regular brochure and i think it was a good idea to do a series of statements with pictures. If i saw that brochure I am sure it would impact me and I would want to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the photography, but one thing that really captured my eyes was the use of colors. Not just the fact that things in Guatemala are quite colorful, but for the fact that the brochure uses a vivid range of colors. The backing around the text as well as the back side of each individual card draws attention to popping colors. The color grabs me in such a way that I would love to read more about it if I could. The idea also of multiple cards on a ring is kind of cool. Reminds me of those geography and history games that were designed for young children on car rides. A problem with normal binding is that I find it annoying trying to flip through all the information especially if it bound wrong. And I just really hate bending pages back behind itself. With the ring style, it flips behind and you dont have to worry about wreaking havoc on the aesthetics of the piece. Overall, a very good, cool looking idea that really draws the viewer in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a photography major so I really like this. It makes me realize how photography on brochures can go a long way if you do it right. Also I realize how important type and captions are especially in brochures. If you can't capture the person's attention by what you are saying then the design won't interest them either. There are many elements in a brochure and I am excited to learn how to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think a trifold or ordinary folding brochure HAS to be boring. I think the way they are presented at the first glance often dooms the brochure regardless of the information being given. I love the full bleed photo's when they are used and a photo should grab the readers attention's and MAKE them want to pick it up. Next, the type chosen should be easy read and NOT crammed in like the ingredient label on your favorite soup label. I have always liked a brochure that spoke to me, had a sense of feeling or urgency. I also feel that a brochure should not be far outside the norm for brochures because it would be difficult to display along with other's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is helpful. It's important to have clear idea and to get it out in the most simplest way possible I think is key. With brochures I feel like you have such little time and space to get your message out there so doing it in a clear and impactful way what separates you from others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was inspiring to me. I usually hate when I am asked to design brochures because it feels so boring. Just the word "brochure" makes me cringe a little bit. This was so different and unique, but not just for its own sake. It was impactful and useful in its differences. I like that each idividual card has a purpose. It is well done and the message is more clearly communicated than it would have been in an 8 1/2 by 11 trifold

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find this inspiring on several levels. First, the fact that the brochure in the post was created by people at JBU is great. It is so well done and makes me want to become a better designer/photographer. On another level, as an MK I have seen so many poorly done brochures and other promotional materials. This really shows that good design can be used for a higher purpose than just trying to make money.

    ReplyDelete