Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zachary Brown’s Post

I think one way you can tell if something is designed well is if you want to buy it, even if you don't plan on using it. You just like the packaging itself. I found myself in the same boat looking at these bottles of men's fragrances. (I should note that I would use them if I bought them. But even if it smelled awful, I would still get them.) The design company, Ah&Oh Studio, took their inspiration from "the great, dark literature and distinctive strong characters," and decided to make bottles of perfume named after different authors. The bottles are reminiscent of old perfume bottles, mixed with inkwells. The stoppers are heads of characters from a work by the respective author, and on the back of the bottle would be a quote from that same work.

I love this. I've always been a sucker for slightly cartoon-ish looking things, and the stoppers on these bottles definitely have that feel. The glossy black stoppers, the off-white bottles, and the bold type make the overall packaging feel very sleek and stylish, and the fact that they took their inspiration from literature might make one feel a bit cultured, thus wooing many fair ladies. (Always a plus!) I think Ah&Oh Studio did a fantastic job creating a themed fragrance packaging, without making it feel trite.



 

1 comment:

  1. Honestly the heads feel a bit odd sitting atop such a square package and rectangular type layout. Lots of contrast there. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad thing; obviously it's working if people want to buy it without even caring about the product. In everyday packaging I would definitely prefer a package with more consistency in shape value, and I think these run the risk of becoming a short term novelty thing.

    ReplyDelete