Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Matthias Roberts’ Post

A couple days ago one of the guys on my hall, who is an upper level design major, came into my room and showed me what you see below. The design is pretty self-explanatory - it's a ketchup packet with a picture of a kid's legs. When you open the packet you essentially 'rip off' the leg and blood (ketchup) pours out. On the reverse side, the design calls attention to the fact that there are many countries where land mines are all over the place. 


Regardless of how appetizing this makes the ketchup (I don't eat ketchup, and this makes me want to eat it even less), I feel as if this design is extremely effective. It evokes emotion (disgust, fascination, awe) and is definitely interactive. It literally forces the consumer to think about the land mine issue, and provides an easy call to action (donate by text message). I want to donate just from seeing a picture.

Throughout the semester in Graphic Design Two we have placed a large amount of emphasis on social concerns, or organizations that are humanitarian in one aspect or another. Because of this emphasis, I have started to notice design relating to these concerns much more than I'm used to. As we all know, many (if not most) humanitarian organizations suffer from horrible design, making good design stand out more. This is one of those designs that stands out, and not only that, it sticks with you.

-Matthias

3 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about making a statement. If you are selling ketchup, you probably do not want to run with this marketing idea. But, whoever thought of this was ingenious. First of all, it is incredibly unique. I have never seen anything like it. Secondly, it has "shock value," which is probably something that does not occur often when you are chowing down on some french fries. This design is incredibly effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I blogged about a ketchup packet design, however, it's not near as gross as this one. Haha. I agree with Jenny, it certainly has a shock value which does grab your attention. It holds your attention long enough to peak your curiosity to turn over the packet and figure out what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really effective design for a good cause. Its something that has shock factor along with good design and imagery. I think it is most effective because its "interactive" in a way. It requires that the consumer actually tear open the package, then realize what the campaign is all about. This is a great way to help people remember what the campaign is about. The only downside is that if you wanted to keep the information on the website to perhaps help out, you are left with a drippy ketchup packet that's not very conducive to being carried anywhere.

    ReplyDelete