Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tucker Cowie’s Post

As we spoke about grids today, I thought about the small experience I've had using grids in web design. Much of my knowledge of web design comes from http://alistapart.com/. This website is crawling with meaty information about design and coding. If you're like me, you don't mind the raw posts of information that contain deep descriptions and theory. Check it out to learn something new!

Anyways, back to grids! This specific article expands on the idea of grids in web design- including ways to work with and around them. http://www.alistapart.com/articles/outsidethegrid/


Another note for grids in web design: I am hoping to learn more about responsive web design in the coming months. Here are some examples/resources of great fluid grids used for design:

I hope these examples of efficient grid usage inspire you to think about the way artists & designers structure their work (then perhaps like me, you wil be able to appreciate good design even more!).
-Tucker

9 comments:

  1. This stuff is kinda complicated and I am not sure I can understand much of it without digging into it pretty good. Nice reference tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the use of grids although I still don't understand how to use them. These links are really great tools for explanations, examples and tips for using grids in web design. I spent some time on the links and quickly discovered that I had no clue as to what was going on. I liked the pictures because that seems to be more my speed in this section of design, but ultimately the articles look like decent tools for designers, especially the web designers it is directed towards. Over all a very interesting and good find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at some of the examples of grids was interesting but the technical stuff was completely lost on me. Good resource though if you are really into designing grids : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the "A List Apart" website to be very helpful in explaining why we use grids. I still don't understand the coding part of that, but that will probably come with web design experience. The examples of different grids were great to use as a reference when creating brochures or web design. Also one of the articles talked about using tables and how they are sometimes being over used, and that we should consider altering our traditional grid system or eliminating it all together for some designs. I think that is a great Idea and challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I have a lot to learn about grids. These are great resources thanks for sharing! These sites seem to prove the point even more of how important grids really are. Their the foundation of a design

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was interesting, but the amount of information about grids overwhelmed me and confused me a little bit. But these are great resources! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just goes to show how detailed and complicated design can get. It's a whole new look at design rather than just taking it and sticking it together based on what looks good. Instead, there is a careful progression from one design layout to another or even one consistent one that keeps everything in symmetrical check. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very helpful and has some good information that will come in handy. It really shows how much care people need to put into their design and think about everything that goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for these resources. I've learned so much about photoshop that I practically know it without looking now, and I think it's best I start to expand my knowledge into web based creations. I taught myself just about everything I do with photoshop using a vast amount of tutorials, and there's no reason I can't learn do create websites the same way. Definitely a summer hobby i'll have to look into. Beats playing video games all day anyway. I'd rather stay up till 3 in the morning knowing i'm creating something great than ranking up points.

    ReplyDelete