Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sierra Parker’s Post

Since we are currently working on posters I was browsing the web and came across a couple posters that I thought were done very well and a one that needed a little tweaking.
       The first one about breast cancer with the hand caught my interest because like the adoption/abortion poster shown in class, the word beat and breast are only two letters apart. I think that the simplicity of this poster not only catches and holds attention but is creditable because the hand as a picture is more relate able than if it were a drawing or other graphic. I also like the one with the spurred running shoes because the western style is a more light hearted and an active approach to being aware of breast cancer. I like how the designer used the play on the word 'run' for two calls of action, the first being the race for the cure and the actually effort of running in a 5K race.
    The poster that I thought had slightly missed the mark was the race for diabetes. It is very busy and it took me a while to find out what it was for. There is a lot of information on the poster that is needed but because there isn't a direction for the eye to follow it appears confusing and busy at a glance. I like how the word "run" is larger than the rest because that is the call of action, I just wish that there was a stronger more apparent indication as to what they are running for.




7 comments:

  1. I found super interesting, and well designed the beat the cancer poster. I love those posters that use a mix of typography , and photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! The beat breast cancer poster is so simple, yet ingenious. Being able to read the words beat and breast in the same place before cancer is an incredible achievement in graphic design. In fact, I willing to argue that this poster is the best of this set. It does a superb job attracting and retaining your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first poster. Definitely a winner. I like the second one too, but it feels like it still needs some work. Good idea with the Western feel, would really like to know what city its for. Completely agree with the last poster. I'm spying a large amount of Typographic Uh-ohs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that I like the first poster very well. It caught my eye for the similar reasons of the hand separating the letters, having you read it in two ways now!
    I think the second poster is ok, but a little to blah for me.. it just doesn't quiet get my attention.
    And for the third poster, I didn't I understand what it was for until I read what Sierra wrote about it. It has way to much txt on it for me to even bother reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what everyone else has said about these. The first is simple but good. The other two lose the simplicity and I think the lose the message with it. All that pink on the second makes me want to look away pretty fast. I wonder if the third one's designer was told he/she had to include all that info, because it isn't that it is trying to much. It is just trying to fit everything about the event on one poster which is causing the busyness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love the top one! It is so simple and yet so creative. It is one of those concepts where I think to myself, "why didn't I think of that." i have a hard time sometimes not focusing on only thinking "inside" the box... sometimes it's good if we think in the box because we can think of the ideas like this one---simple, yet so effective!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to agree, the diabetes poster doesn't quite cut it. I absolutely love the direction it was going and they style it was taking, but to be honest the photo took away from it, not to mention the disgusting logo soup towards the bottom that was thrown in. Now that I think about it, as a designer, one will have to learn how to carefully place the logos, as most of them are a requirement since they are the sponsors of the event being held.

    ReplyDelete