Monday, February 27, 2012

Kacia Young’s Post

This poster is awesome because it uses quilling to create awesome texture and great colors. The three dimensional aspect of the quilling draws you in. Quilling is thin lines of paper on end used to created different shapes. I love the way the artist placed different instruments in the tree. Also, the colors are very fun and inviting.



This poster is not only great visually, but also typographically. The typographic syntax is really awesome. My favorite typographic syntax represented in this poster is probably the "yp" connection at the top serif. Also the typographic sins that it talks about are really funny and so true. They are things that we all need to be aware of and avoid as designers. The designer made the explanation of the sins funny and enjoyable rather than a list of what not to do. Furthermore, I love the symbols used as decoration around the heading.

4 comments:

  1. Great posters. The quilling one is very interesting but I don't see how you could reproduce it. Would definitely keep peoples attention for a long time though. I really like the type poster because I really like type. Good rules to go by and nice source of inspiration to. Type is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These posters are really cool! I didn't quite understand the quilling one until I analyzed the photos on the link and I am quite impressed. It must take a long while to create a poster with quilling and keep it so clean! I also agree with Stephen though, how would they reproduce it? I could see this poster as a main even poster at the show itself but for time a money it would have to be printed. I really like the second poster too. The first thing I noticed was the 'og' and how they were stacked. I do not know all the rules of type and I'm not very good at it but I know that you "NEVER STACK TYPE". It was very clever that they not only had great typographic syntax but that they played off of the "sins" part of the poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the quilling. I have never heard of it until I saw your post. I really like the idea. It makes for a very interesting and interactive design piece. With the typographic poster, I hope it is talking about what not to do with text. I can't quite read it, but the title is pretty awful. They pretty much broke every rule in the book. But I do really enjoy the quilling poster. I think it is really cool. I am inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the quilling poster. Saw a blog a few months ago with some impressive works like this one in it. I think as designers, we sometimes get caught up in our tech and forget how to use our hands to do tangible, tactile design. I agree, difficult to reproduce, but even through this photograph it still has a bigger impact than it would were it simply some flat vector image. Definitely would be most powerful in person, but I think it works to reproduce it 2-D too. Love the type sins poster. So good.

    ReplyDelete