Monday, September 26, 2011

Social Concern Posters

Social Concern Posters
One thing I noticed when looking at posters dealing with social concern is that they tend me be very simple and straight to the point. They also often use clever re-workings of things we see every day in order to grab the viewers attention. Below are some examples of great social awareness posters.


I find this poster to be extremely effective, it is done
for the Women's Aid Organization. When you first see these posters you simply see beautiful women's lips.
However, the first image is really fists, and hidden in the second image are images of men beating women. It is subtle but it clearly and effectively shows its meaning. Underneath the first poster is says "Lips aren't punching bads. Nor are other parts of the body. If you know someone who is suffering from violence or abuse. please call Women's Aid Organization at.....Speak Up. And silence those who speak with their fists. Underneath the second poster it says, "Silent lips mute the sound of beatings. And muzzle unspeakable pain. Give voice to victims or violence or abuse....Deep as the wounds may be, healing begins by being heard." The simple subtle messages in the imagery combined with the powerful words create a very strong social concern poster.
This second poster is another example of the subtle message that works really well as a social concern poster. Soccer player Loco Abreu is "kicking away racism" by wearing two shoes of different colors (he also played in a soccer game with these shoes) It is just a simple image but it received a lot of feedback from the press and had a huge impact.

As you think about social concern posters think about the context and the message that you are trying to bring across. It does not need to be an elaborate poster in order for you to get your idea across.

One final example for you to look at :) Have a great Monday :)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. The first set of posters is really effective. I saw the fists when I first looked at it but the second one I didn't realize what it was until I read it. It really made me speechless. These posters are so effective because it takes something simple and makes it out of these violent things. It is amazing. I like the concept behind the second poster but I don't think it's nearly as effective. The last poster is really effective, though. This image isn't one that you want to see and so it grabs your heart and makes you want to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first poster really is interesting. I didn't event see the fists or people in the lips at first. It's interesting how it's so simple, yet complex. It really is more effective to be simple. The next poster is definitely very simple and subtle. I don't think it is as impacting as the first, but I still think it's a good concept. The last one is great as well. It is really impacting and makes you want to do something. The imagery of children dressed in military uniforms with guns on the playground doesn't makes sense to us, so it makes us want to change the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one was hard for me to see the smaller pictures until I read the description. However, after reading it I clearly see them and I think the poster could be very effective. The second one I love because it is someone who is widely known used to make an impact. Fans of Abreu will automatically be attracted to this poster and want to find out what it's for. The graphic on the third one is incredible and will quickly get attention because we are not used to seeing children with guns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have seen the images inside the images on the first one if you hadn't pointed them out to me! Holy cow! That's genius! I think it's really effective because, at least at a larger scale, it really would hook the viewer in to it, causing them to want to read more. As for the second one, I think like it's a nice idea, but I don't really feel it personally. Now, as for the fact that he wore those shoes in a game, THAT is effective. I would guess he got more awareness out of that stunt with the press going wild about it, than he got with the poster. This last one is also a good idea, but at the same time, it just doesn't feel super well designed to me. Maybe it's the color scheme, or maybe it's just the cartoony style. Then again, these are both working toward the idea, but I honestly just don't really like it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow i didn't even realize what was going on in the first poster. I have seen that poster at least a couple other times but i never saw the fists or the men beating the women. Those two posters are amazingly well done. On the second one, the fact that he wears those cleats as a statement against racism is really cool. I really like the last one. It's powerful because the subject is powerful and we often don't think about it. Very clever combining a normal child's activities with the activities of these warring children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These posts all show great ways to fight for a social cause. Once when I saw the fists on the lips poster I was able to understand what was going on. The fists in the lips is a great way to make people get a emotional feeling while looking at the poster. I find it fascinating that the Soccer player was able to fight for a cause that is important to him just by doing what he loves. It just shows that we can fight for something that is important to us just by doing something simple. All of these posters are a great example of how to fight for something that is important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really found all of these posters to be very powerful. They are clear and simple. They get right to the point and are very bold about it. I especially liked the poster with Loco Abreu. It is very clever and simple. I really think that it makes the fight against racism seem approachable. It seems like something that is important, and something that I can actually help participate in and make a difference.

    ReplyDelete